Thursday, February 19, 2009

And I'm still as stupid as anyone, but I know my mistakes

Recently, my mum posted me in the mail a vegan cookbook and it has to be said – this cookbook may be my first true love. I spend approximately half an hour every evening in an almost meditative state reading the recipes, writing myself shopping lists and pondering as to what exactly some of the ingredients are. This half an hour is often followed up with a call to Kathleen, who is Abby’s mum and the most amazing cook I know. For 15 minutes I chat with Kathleen about the ingredients that I am unsure of, where I might procure them and how the final meal might taste.

The recent arrival (and endless bragging) of this cookbook has sparked some not so pleasant and thinly veiled remarks from my friends about my apparent “veganism” and my “not-so-fun-anymore-ism”. It’s not often I feel as though I have to defend my choices (or my right to choose) to anyone but this weekend, some remarks that were made cut me a fair bit.

I’m not Vegan. I’m not Vegan because my boyfriend is Vegan. I’m not even close to Vegan. I’m Vegetarian. I’m not Vegetarian because my boyfriend is Vegan either. He has little to do with my lifestyle choices and little influence over me. I am Vegetarian because late last year I watched a documentary on the treatment of animals that broke my heart and made me physically ill. I don’t have any milk products because I am lactose intolerant, and I’m a bit funny about eggs. I ensure that I buy beauty and laundry products that aren’t tested on animals because I see it as unnecessary cruelty. I was Vegan from the age of 15 to the age of 19. I might (and probably will) be Vegan again someday, but it’s my business… not anyone else’s.

I’m simply trying to minimise the cruelty inflicted on animals and the damage to the environment caused by the lifestyle choices that I make – So that I can sleep better at night.

My “not-so-fun-anymore-ism” is something that is brought up after a glass or two of wine, it’s said in jest but I think it’s unfair to suggest that someone isn’t as much fun anymore because they aren’t drinking as much. I’m still making the same jokes, I’m still doing the same stupid things and I still find the same things (mainly cats and seals) hilarious and entertaining. My closest friends know that I don’t have to be drunk to fall in a drain or be harassed unprovoked by someone or make some stupid decisions. I am more than capable of doing all of this and dancing like a fool completely sober. I just don’t like getting drunk anymore. It’s not nearly as much fun as being coherent enough to pick on the drunks.

You know, people change. It’s not a crime to do so. I’m just surprised that my friends are treating me a bit like a criminal for it. In my mind, it’s a much more serious crime to go along in life and not consider the implications of your lifestyle and choices on your health, the environment and the people around you.

3 comments:

brendan said...

"He has little to do with my lifestyle choices and little influence over me."

wow, you sure know how to make a boy feel special...

caseymoira said...

it's not all about you brendan!

Punkarella said...

Brilliantly said my dear xx