Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a mother's joy.

Last night, my mum came into town for dinner. I rode home from work on the park avenue, about 30 metres from my house I could see my mum waiting anxiously outside my house. I rang my bell and she looked up, smiled and waved.

As I turned my bike around and pulled up outside my house my mother clapped, cheered and whooped loudly with utter delight. It was as if I were six, and riding without training wheels for the very first time. I hopped off my bike and she hugged me and did some more clapping. then she hugged me. rinse. repeat. rinse. repeat.

I was incredibly embarrassed at the time. My face was scarlet and I wanted to get her off the street and into where she could continue cheering without my new neighbours witnessing my mother behave in a mildly manic way.

After we had dinner and she had long gone, I was thinking about how happy she was to see me ride my bicycle up the street. She's seen me ride a bicycle a thousand times, but everytime it elicits this response from her. She claps and cheers like I'm about to win gold.

I'm not sure why this makes her as happy as it does, but it's nice to think I'm doing something that makes her proud and happy.

cmx

No comments: