Monday, September 15, 2008

Take Me Out.

Recently I have been spending a fair bit of time in a recording studio to be a part of a ‘reality dating style television show’ which, to be honest, is something completely out of character for me. Last winter, my anxiety was so severe I spent the entire season in lockdown at home, dancing to pulp and “working things out”, this winter I decided that applying for a reality television show might be a “fun idea.”I sent my application in as a bit of a joke, went to the audition as another bit of the joke and when I was told that I had been accepted as a ‘panel member’… well, it seems the joke was on me.

This show has taken up my weekends, weeknights, waking moments and not so waking moments. It has been pretty much all that has been discussed and dissected with my friends, co-workers and family for the last three weeks, to the point where I don’t even want to talk about it anymore – and it still hasn’t even aired. The show is awesomely lame, and if you don’t know much about it (please don’t ask me) check out the website www.ten.com.au/takenout to get a bit of an idea. I’ll write more about this as the questions elsewhere start to fade but it’s been an interesting experience for me. I have learnt a little bit about a whole world I didn’t know existed (fake tan, boutique, football, some song about apple bottom jeans and some boots with fur and pre mixed drinks), a bit more about how television works (recording, pause, applause, recording, pause, applause, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat) and a whole lot about myself. For anyone who is unsure of who they are – I highly recommend filling out an application form for a reality show.

I have a date on Wednesday from the show. He is younger than I am, studying to be a chiropractor, he is only a little taller than me, was wearing an orange shirt, and is possibly the most average Joe looking person (in the nicest possible way) that you could imagine. Watching his profiles, I couldn’t help but think “whoa, he is a genuinely nice, respectful person who comes from a good family, and has plans for his future.” Things I have never considered in my previous relationships (yes, we may be onto something). When it got down to the final round I was shocked (and I am sure they will edit this in) that there were only two girls left for him. You could have pushed me off my podium with your pointing finger because I was horrified that women would buzz him out because he was “too nice”. I wanted to throw a stiletto, stamp my feet and yell through my perfectly applied lip gloss “too nice?! Are you effing kidding me? All I have heard about for 4 days is how all men are such assholes, all of your horror relationship tales, how you want to be treated with respect and cared for and you buzz this guy out because he is too nice?! And you think the men are the problem…”

Regardless of how this date goes, I think I am pretty lucky to be have the opportunity to hang out with and get to know this guy. He might be the polar opposite to what I am (usually) attracted to, but I can think of far worse ways to spend my Wednesday afternoon with someone who is “too nice”.

cmx

No comments: