Wednesday, May 6, 2009

to PDA or not to PDA...

I’m on Doctor’s orders not to ride my bike for a bit until things get better. I’m sneaking it across the park and up to peacal’s but I know (and the doctor knows) I’m not well enough to battle it to work. The humiliation of walking my bike up a hill I know I can manage when I am well is a bit much for me, and so would be the heaving and vomiting and fainting in public business. I don’t know how long it will take until I am better but until I get the all clear, it’s the tram for me. And oh, how I hate the tram.

The tram is awful. It’s 20 minutes of hell being hit in the side of the head with a bag whilst stuck underneath a business man’s arm with some creepy man smiling and making eye contact with me. And, lucky me, I get to pay for the privilege. People smell, do strange things, are rude and often a little too affectionate with their loved one – which was the case this morning.

I was stuck between an overly affectionate couple and an angry IT guy who was quite obviously unhappy with life. This couple were in that “bubble of love and happiness” which means that you only have eyes, ears and spatial awareness for your beloved. As most of you know, up until very recently I was in one of those bubbles known as a relationship so this was a bit of a sore point for me at seven thirty this morning. I will however point out in my defence that I have never been a big fan of the public display of affection unless I am a) drunk or b) on the dancefloor.

I (only just) tolerated the happy couple. I gritted my teeth, I rolled my eyes and tried to busy myself with my book. Angry IT guy was not as tolerable this morning. He confronted the love birds loudly by saying “Hey! You know what? It’s seven thirty in the morning and we are all stuck on a packed tram. How about showing us all a little respect and keeping your tongues in your respective mouths? Public transport is hard enough without your public displays of affection!” He then pointed to me and said “This poor girl looks like she is about to vomit! Give us all a break.”

Love birds were far too shocked to retaliate, and quite obviously felt uncomfortable with declaring their adoration for each other for the rest of their trip. I, could do very little to prevent myself from showing my very own PDA for angry IT guy.

cmx

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Angry IT guy is a legend! That's hilarious.

nat said...

Yay for angry IT guy. Boo for you being to unwell to ride your bike. Hiss for not having seen you since, like, 1998 i think.